Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Forget What the Critics Say

What were they thinking when they gave Sandra Bullock a Razzie award for Worst Actress in the movie, All About Steve. Maybe its the hopeless romantic in me (and I love romantic comedies) but I watched that movie on late night cable (unemployment = insomnia) and I thought it was a good movie.   But could it be I'm a huge Sandra Bullock fan and it could actually be a bad movie, but I lover her so much I was determined to see it as funny. 

I'm that consumer that reads every review on a product before purchasing it. Usually if the reviews aren't good, I may skip on buying a product or search for a close alternative.  I mean sometimes I spend 1-2 days researching and reading reviews on products before I make a decision on whether or not to purchase.  Now movies are a different thing.  I just don't trust what these so called expert critics have to say.  Yes, I know its only their opinion but movie goers look to these reviews before making their weekend plans for going to the movies.  And the Oscars are no different.  There are so many people that should have received an Oscar and did not and then there are those who received them when the space they chose to display the award should be empty. 

Here are a few of my favorites that were missed during Oscar season:

MALCOLM X - now who was smoking crack that year when both Denzel Washington (Best Actor) and Spike Lee (Best Director or Best Screenplay) did not win.  Denzel was nominated for Best Actor and Ruth Carter was nominated for Best Costume Design.  See the movie's award nominations and wins http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104797/awards 

WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT - Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne (think he was still going by Larry back then) BECAME Ike and Tina Turner.  During the summer of 1993 I was on a hunt for Laurence Fishburne just to give him a beat down for what he did to Angela Bassett.  For the longest time, I think people believed Tina Turner was going around impersonating Angela Bassettt.  They were just that good!

DREAMGIRLS - I think the Oscar's voting committe picked the wrong drug addict.  Surely Eddie Murphy's character in Dream Girls should have won over Alan Arkin's character in Little Miss Sunshine.  I mean how long was Alan Arkin even in the movie before his character died?  Don't get me wrong, I thought Little Miss Sunshine was a good movie but not enough for Eddie Murhphy NOT to win.

PRIMAL FEAR - "There never was an Aaron."  Oh I loved Edward Norton as Aaron/Roy in this movie.  His performance was outstanding.  He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, but Cuba Gooding, Jr. took home the Oscar for his performance in Jerry McGuire.  Norton would go on to be nominated for Best Actor, in 1999, for his performance in American History X. 










Then there were some of the times the Oscars got it right. *this list may not include each performance, if the actor has won an Oscar multiple times. 
Jamie Foxx - Ray
Hillary Swank - Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby
Denzel Washington - Glory and Training Day
Jennifer Hudson - Dream Girls
Mo'nique - Precious
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland
Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
Sean Penn - Mystic River and Milk
Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
Tom Hanks - Forest Gump
Jodie Foster - The Accused
Kathy Bates - Misery
Charlize Theron - Monster
Whoopi Goldberg - Ghost
And of course Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

And finally, there are those I just don't understand. 
Halle Berry - Monster's Ball.  Sorry, but I still (to this day) don't understand that one. 
Penélope Cruz – Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  Too many other great nominees who's performance was better than Penelope Cruz (Viola Davis, Taraji P. Henson, Amy Adams and Marisa Tomie).

Some of these movies, actors and actresses received good reviews, from critics, and some received bad reviews.  That just goes to show you that sometime you have to forget what the critics say. 

What were some of your favorite movies you feel was missed over during award season?

2 comments:

  1. Whitney Houston -The Bodyguard. Ok..Ok I know but seriously, I do think Tom Cruise should have gotten one for Jerry Mcguire. That movie is one of my favs. I will think of more later when I sober up. Lmao-rh! And Godsister I think Halle's oscar was earned. I don't think the movie was all that great but her performance was. And, Gabourey should've gotten one for the supporting actress role in Precious-Oh and Queen latifah should've definitely gotten one for Set It Off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Set it Off was a good one for Queen Latifah. Gabourey was nominated for Best Actress. Monique got Best Supporting Actress for Precious. I will probably continue to disagree about Monster's Ball. I don't think that performance was outside the "norm" of a "regular" role for Halle. Now if we were talking about her character in Jungle Fever or Dorothy Dandridge, Losing Isaih, hell even B.A.P.S that would be different. But I don't think she did anything spectacular in that role.

    ReplyDelete