Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cheney's homemade pizza

So times are hard and money is tight.  I've been creative in thinking of ways I can hold on to the money I have and ways to make it with the money I don't have.  I figured what better way to incorporate my recent desire to want to cook more with cost saving measures to replace eating out.  Drum roll please........HOMEMADE PIZZA!

Anyone who knows me, knows that my favorite foods are 1. pizza and 2.  seafood.  Since being in New York City, I have yet to find any pizza that compares to the pizza of Chicago.  Mostly, New York's pizza is just large slices of paper thin crust with barely any cheese on it.  Not satisfied with the New York pizza and tired of buy Diorgano's pizza (they don't sell homerun inn frozen pizza here), I decided to make my own.  I never really thought of doing so before until I was talking to a neighbor (thanks, Jennifer) and decided to give it a try.  So here it is, Cheney's homemade cheese and spinach pizza. 

 Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

The ingredients are quite simple and can be purchased from any local grocery or convenient store.
1.  mozzarella cheese - purchased at Duane Reade
2.  ragu pizza sauce - purchased at Duane Reade
3.  organic baby spinach - purchased at Whole Foods
4.  pizza crust - purchased at Whole Foods

 Used a small amount of extra virgin olive oil, heated in a small skillet to saute the spinach.  It doesn't need to be fully cooked.  2-3 minutes in the skillet will do. 
 Now I like a lot of sauce on my pizza so I used 3 and 1/2 tablespoons of pizza sauce. 

 Next.  I added the mozzarella cheese, followed by the spinach
- Place pizza crust in the center of the oven on a pizza pan or flat cookie sheet.  Since I don't have either, a piece of aluminum foil worked just as good. 
- let pizza bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese melts and crust browns.  I like my cheese brown so I leave it in the oven a little longer.  
*if you like a crispy crust, leave the pizza pan, cookie sheet or aluminum foil in the oven while it is pre-heating.  By doing so, you will place the pizza crust on a surface that is already hot.
let sit for 2-3 minutes as sauce and cheese will be hot. 

Taste better than any frozen pizza I've ever purchased in the store. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks good!! Glad to know that you're finally switching in the kitchen :-) You Go Girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete